Thursday, July 15, 2010

Trying to get back to the sewing machine

I have been away from this for so long and so much has happened since my last post, I hardly know where to begin.  I guess I should just start where I am right now and I'll fill in backwards over the next few posts.


I am working at home this morning--waiting for a repairman to fix our ice-maker.  No ice in the hot weather we've been having is difficult to say the least.  Even the dog misses the ice.  He has such a sad look when I go to the freezer without tossing him a cube.  He says the lukewarm water from the tap is a poor substitute.


Since I knew I'd be home this morning, I went through my fabric stash yesterday to select fabrics for my next jackets.  I filled a bag with selections to bring home to wash and iron.  That way I can feel that I'm on my way back to my machine and my art.  Tomorrow I'll add some pictures so you can see what I'll be working on next.


For the last month and a half I've been concentrating on our fiber art supplies business--getting ready for and then vending at the Quilt/Surface Design Symposium, and then dealing with all the aftermath.  I'm finally nearly finished with the bookwork and inventory restocking and am ready to work on jackets again.  


Up until now I've been creating my jackets one at a time, start to finish.  I'm beginning to wonder if I need to change my style, to have more than one underway.  I have at least three different ideas pent up in my head and anxious to burst out.  Perhaps I need to let them all flower at once and see how that process works.  Perhaps that will help when I run into a problem on one--I can give it a breather while I go on to another.  Right now I try to force myself to fix problems immediately because I have to finish that one before starting a new one.  Just thinking aloud here...but sometimes you need to shake up the way you work to keep moving ahead.  Right now I'd better just get at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment