Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mindless Stitching Isn't so Mindless After All

I'm working on a "Free Lace" scarf today - doing the machine-stitched grid that holds it all together.  This is the stage that, before doing one, I thought would be totally boring.  I had been afraid that I would not enjoy making these scarves because the machine sewing would be such a chore...more famous last words.  I am finding that this sewing time is actually creative time.  While doing this rote sewing I can let my mind float on to the next project.

It's looking like my next project is going to be a man's jacket or vest.  I've been asked several times if I ever make jackets for men, but project hasn't yet risen to the top of my list.  As of yesterday I have a reason to put it there.  Here's the story.

I am participating with six other artists and artisans in the Winter Lights III exhibit at The Loading Dock Gallery here at Western Avenue Studios.  Yesterday we decided that all of us will wear my jackets during the reception on Friday night December 3rd.  As you've probably guessed, one of the artisans is male, but we don't want to leave him out.  Right now I'm thinking about a boxy Japanese-type vest.  I've got a rust-colored fabric from Mary Walters that I'd like to feature, but I need to figure out if I have coordinating fabrics that won't make it look too feminine.  Hmmm, maybe black???  Which of my "usual" embellishment techniques can I use to add interest but keep it masculine - or at least unisex???  This is what I've been day-dreaming about as I stitch.

If you're in the area, I invite you to come to the show opening to see my latest jackets and the work of the other six artists:
The reception happens from 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday December 3.  There'll be good food, good friends, live modeling of my jackets and great holiday shopping.  Hope to see you then.

1 comment: