Earlier in the week I shared the start of my project using recycled sari ribbon. I created a piece of fabric by couching over the ribbons to attach them to a piece of silk organza. Over the last couple of days I've cut that piece of fabric up to use it in reverse applique in a jacket. Here's the beginning of that jacket.
The squares and triangles will float down the front, back and sleeves of the jacket. I'll be doing more couching to tie things together, but I haven't made a final decision on that design yet.
When I started working on the fabric, I knew that I also wanted to do something with the ribbon in a wall piece as well. My initial thought was to follow the same process for creating the fabric, but doing hand embroidery instead of machine couching. As I began to gather the scraps from the jacket piecing, I realized I needed to do something creative with them as well. They were too beautiful to discard, but too small to use on their own. I started laying them out on a background fabric to see if I could get a pleasing design. Here are a couple of my "test" pieces.
I'm not sure where I'm going from here, but I know it will involve hand embroidery - and likely something more. I know it will get tweaked along the way.