Thursday, January 26, 2012

Button-inspired Couching

This new jacket is coming along very well.  The time spent on the careful cutting and basting to an interlining are really paying off in the construction process.  I've already got the body of the jacket put together, including the decorative couching.  I thought I'd share my progress.

Here are the pictures of the front and back.


For the couching I am using the Stef Francis 5400 rayon thread.  I just love the pizazz these threads add and the colors are just yummy.  For all the top-stitching on the seams and over the rayon thread, I am using an Oliver Twist variegated thread.  The couching pattern was inspired by some great buttons I bought a couple of years ago from Penny Faich of WeGotTheButtons.

Don't the colors coordinate well with these silks?  I plan to put one or two along the side of the front overlap so I thought the couching should echo the lovely lines in the buttons.

Today I spent a meditative day listening to some of my favorite music and cutting and basting sleeve pieces.  Tomorrow I'll start to put together that sleeve. I like the immediate gratification of going back and forth between the preparation and the construction.  So on to the next part.

No comments:

Post a Comment