Last week when I finished up a jacket I planned to go right on to another - until I discovered that I hadn't prewashed the fabric I intended to use. We were up in Maine with no laundry facilities, so I had to figure out a fill-in project. Luckily I'd brought along some Mokuba stabilizer and a selection of threads and yarns just in case.
I'd also brought along some samples of a sheer fabric with embroidered motifs in case I could figure out a way to incorporate it into a scarf. Here's the result:
I decided to cut out the flower and leaf motifs from the sheer fabric. I used the large flowers as a fancy border and scattered the leaves over the length of the scarf. Once the clear film was in place, I couched a fine sparkly yarn in lengthwise stripes. I alternated stitching the yarns on the front and back of the piece to capture the leaves in the middle. Then I stitched random swirls all over it with a light green thread to hold it all together.
Stitching swirls instead of a grid was more fun and maybe a little faster, but I could only do it for a little while at a time. It made me kind of dizzy - especially because you have to pay very close attention to what you are doing to make sure that you've caught everything.
I love the lacy look it gives. And...serendipity...look at how well it goes with one of my recent jackets.
|Circular Thinking and Floating Flowers|