I've had quite a ride this past month. I hope I can stay off the roller coaster and on more level ground for a while. I've spent a good deal of time working with my siblings to get my mother moved into an advanced care assisted living situation. If you've been there you know how much mental and physical work is involved. Luckily the four of us work well together and we found a situation that we are all happy with. Our mother seems pleased as well, so we're hoping things will settle down for a while.
With all that going on, I haven't had much time for sewing, but I did finish a jacket yesterday. I call this one "Persuede Me." The fabric is a nice, buttery-soft micro-suede.
I think the fabric was designed with chair covers in mind. It consisted of panels with what looked like organic "squares" screened in the middle of a beige ground. I loved the patterns and the colors, but it took me quite a while to figure out how to use it. I finally decided on my "default" of cutting it up in strips and then putting the strips together to create a new whole. Once the new fabric was created, I added couched squares to add texture and echo the squares and rectangles. Then I found a beautiful sheer fabric with a woven leaf design for the collar and cuffs.
Here's the back:
I'm trying to keep up the momentum by moving right on to a new one. A bit ago I pulled out several lovely wool fabric remnants in coordinating shades of jade and a lovely watered silk. Now I need to figure out how I can put them together for another one.